Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Small Steps


I guess technically I could say that I am a published author. The summer before I was married I submitted a story to my local newspaper that ran in the Living section. It was a non-fiction article on how I met my husband, and it was spread over two pages and included a photo of the two of us. I was working two jobs at the time, and I was amazed at how many people recognized me from the article! I felt like something of a celebrity!

And yet, I'm still hesitant to apply the term "published author" to myself. That little newspaper article is so far from my ultimate goals that it seems a little like being a kid and telling people that you are fifteen when you are actually a day past fourteen-and-a-half.

That story was printed six years ago, and I've had nothing published since. I haven't submitted anything since. Life overpowered me like an upturned canoe, and my dreams of writing went bobbing adrift. It's taken me a while to climb back in the canoe, locate my paddle, and start going after them. I can see them now, right there before me... all I have to do is reach. And hopefully not upset the canoe in the process!

I need to start looking for opportunities to submit my writing. I need to get my name back out there. Small steps still move you forward. If there's one thing I've learned these past few years it's this: dreams don't just fall in your lap. If you want something to happen, you've got to get out there and make it happen.

No comments: