Monday, January 01, 2007

A New Year, A Fresh Start


What is it about a new year that makes us believe we can start anew? A fresh rebirth, a chance to cast off the old, selfish, indulgent persona, and assume a new, more likeable one?

In any case, I too resolve to make a change this year. I have weighed myself in the balances and found myself lacking. And so I resolve just one thing really -- to become a better person in every aspect of my life. Broken down, it looks a little something like this:

10 ways in which I resolve to better myself and in effect, the world around me

1. To find my center. To have an on-my-knees meeting with my Creator and Saviour and together, re-establish my purpose in this life. And to keep my center within arms reach, by consistant, daily prayer and reading of the Scriptures.

2. To open my heart more. To not be afraid to reach out to others around me and to tell them how I feel about them.

3. To shower my loved ones with affection. To keep their needs in my focus, even if it means allowing my own to fall by the wayside.

4. To laugh more, yell less. To be the mother to my children that I never had myself and always longed for.

5. To never again be the victim. To choose not to let the poor choices of others affect me.

6. To respect others. Help out the elderly. Assist the children. Pause and hold that door open for the person behind me. Say excuse me. Don't be rude.

7. To respect myself. To realize that this body is the only one I was given. Accept it. Love it. Care for it. Eat healthier, excercise frequently, get in shape and stay there!

8. To realize that time is money -- or at least, more valuable. Show that you care and that you are someone who can be counted on. Be on time.

9. To listen more, talk less. Allow others the chance to pour out their hearts and be validated. Don't interrupt.

10. To realize my dreams. Stop living the fantasy and start making them a reality. Educate yourself, learn from others, and never stop until you reach your goals.



And there you have it.

Happy New Year, everybody!

No comments: