Thursday, January 11, 2007

Getting Into the Grind


At last the holidays are over and I am settling into the daily grind. The gym membership turned out not to be my only gift: my husband got me an adorable little ipod shuffle to go with it. Already I find myself missing it when it is not on my person! Music is a real motivator for me. I must apologize if my "Wish List" post sounded as though I was in any way ungrateful for my husband's gift. He is a wonderful man who knows my heart. My frustration was not directed at him, but rather, at myself for continuously making excuses as to why I cannot seem to do the one thing I long most to do.

At any rate, I am now reaping the benefits of his generosity, attending the gym for two hours every Monday, Wednesday and Friday while my oldest is at school. The younger two go with me to the free babysitting facility they have at the gym. The mornings are usually quiet, so they get plenty of attention and the arrangement is working out marvellously for all involved. Working out to the music pumping through my ears keeps me in my own little world, no one to bother me, and few interruptions makes for a veritable breeding ground for creative ideas in my mind.

So far I have tried out a Spinning class (hated) and a Pilates class (loved). I think I will join the Pilates class, which meets for one hour every Monday morning. It really kicked my butt last week, but in that strangly addictive way that has you coming back for more. Plus, it was nice to be part of a group again. Being a SAHM for the last 5 years and moving all around the globe didn't give me many opportunities to make new friends.

Wow! Between the potential to meet some very interesting people and quietly observe others, not to mention getting my butt kicked back into shape, joining a gym may be the best mental and physical health boost I've had in years!

To your health, everybody!

No comments: