Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Writing Life


Is it just me or has 2009 been passing incredibly fast? I apologize for majorly slacking as far as this blog is concerned, I've been so busy... But before I get to that, I want to thank all those who left such wonderfully sweet and encouraging comments on my last post! You really cheered me up and made me feel that the time I spend here is worthwhile. So I thank you very sincerely.
2009 has brought a few exciting surprises for me, the biggest of which was that we were able to remodel our spare bedroom into an office for me (it still has a bed in it, just in case we should get any visitors). I painted it a gorgeous shade of antique pale green with pale silvery white trim. The colors make me feel like I'm sitting in a place where a fairy tale is about to begin. It's breathtaking. My husband bought me a beautiful, cherry wood, rolltop desk -- my dream desk since I was a little girl -- and a matching chair. With our tax return we bought a new laptop with wireless capabilities which means I can move around and find a comfy place to sit and still be able to write from anywhere in the house. And for Valentine's Day he surprised me with a beautiful cherry wood two-drawer filing cabinent. So I'm basically all set with everything I could possibly need to really begin to pursue my dream of writing as a carreer. Not that you have to have all these things to write, but it sure is nice now that I do!
After a short holiday break, I did jump right back into the thick of revising a short, non-fiction story that I've been working on, a "slice of life" if you will. I have a mentor that's been working with me on it and I feel that it is almost ready to send out. Good thing, because my husband has given me a deadline: I have to have something in the mail by the end of the month or he's taking over my office! What can I say, I'm a perfectionist who can always find some little thing that still needs work, and not only that, but I'm absolutely unsure of myself, which keeps me from sending anything out. Thank God I have someone like him who not only loves and supports me completely but is also strong enough to give me the required boot out of the nest so that I can test my wings and see if I'm able to fly.
I'll keep you posted on what happens. And in the meantime, I'll get back to posting spark words and writing prompts that will hopefully encourage your imaginations to soar.

2 comments:

Nedra J. Smith said...

Hi, Christiana. I'm Nedra and I've been enjoying your prompts. I love that gift--the filing cabinet and the desk.

It shows that he believes in you, and when you use them, it shows that you believe in the talents you've been blessed with.

Have a blessed and wonderful writing year in this fast-going 2009!

--Nedra Smith

Arianna said...

Wow, yes, 2009 has passed by sooo fast! I can't believe February will be over soon.
That desk sounds like the perfect place to write. I'd love a desk like that. Well, the couch will do for now until I find something better to write on! LOL.